Citizen    Government    Business    Visitor
Wyoming Water Development Commission 
Harry C. LaBonde, Jr., PE, Director 
6920 Yellowtail Rd, Cheyenne, WY 82002 
Phone: 307-777-7626 

Agency Information
 Mission Statement
 Commission Agendas & Minutes
 Consultant Selection
 Items Open for Public Comment
 Operating Criteria
 Project Application Information
 Send Us Your Comments

Planning Program
 Dam and Reservoir Planning
 Groundwater Grant Projects
 Instream Flow Filings
 Current Planning Projects
 River Basin Planning
 Weather Modification Study
 Probable Maximum Precipitation
 Water Research Projects

Construction Program
 Current Construction Projects
 Small Water Projects

Agency Publications
 Project Reports
 Water/Climate Web Atlas
 Irrigation & Water System Surveys
 Legislative Reports
 Water Mgmnt & Conservation Dir
 History of Wyoming Water Law

WWDC Home Page

Water Plan Home Page

WRDS Home Page

Project Reports

    4. PROJECT:Basin Area Water Supply (formerly Manderson Water Supply)
SPONSOR:South Big Horn County Water Supply Joint Powers Board
LOCATION:Big Horn County
PROGRAM:New Development
Purpose Chapter Session Account Appropriation Due Date
Level III-1 206 1995 I $670,000* 1999
*67% grant

The Town of Manderson is located in the northern Bighorn Basin. They currently have two relatively shallow wells, however, they are experiencing water quality and quantity problems. They wish to locate a deeper, better quality groundwater source and convey that water to their existing distribution system. There are 52 taps in this area.

The Town of Basin is committed to this project because they are experiencing problems with their current water supply system, and because they anticipate their current system will require a considerable capital investment in the near future. There are 600 taps in this area.

The rural area around Manderson and Basin are also interested in the project. They currently utilize shallow wells to supply domestic water, which are of poor quality and quantity. there are 168 taps in this area.

A groundwater exploration program was conducted by WWDC in 1985 that indicated a good potential exists for obtaining groundwater from the Paleozoic formations approximately 8 miles east of Manderson. In 1993, an exploratory well was constructed that produced water of excellent quality, but lacked sufficient yield to supply the projected 750 taps in the regional water system. In 1994 the well was hydraulically fractured in an attempt to stimulate water production. The well now flows approximately 350 gpm of good quality water.

In 1994, the project continued through conceptual designs and cost estimates. The sponsor has 820 taps committed to the project. A joint powers board has been formed to serve as the sponsor for the project. The project is currently being designed. The engineer will conduct three separate bid lettings for the project. One contract will be associated with drilling a second production well. The second construction contract will provide the major transmission pipeline between the wells and the Town of Basin. The third contract will construct the transmission facilities to serve the rural water users.

The WWDC recommends that the project appropriation be increased from $670,000 to $6,030,000 or $5,360,000 to complete the project construction funding package. The appropriation will serve as a 67% grant. The sponsor has secured the remaining 33% of the project budget from the RECD.

   Citizen    Government    Business    Visitor   Privacy Policy