Citizen    Government    Business    Visitor
Wyoming Water Development Commission 
Harry C. LaBonde, Jr., PE, Director 
6920 Yellowtail Rd, Cheyenne, WY 82002 
Phone: 307-777-7626 

Agency Information
 Mission Statement
 Commission Agendas & Minutes
 Consultant Selection
 Items Open for Public Comment
 Operating Criteria
 Project Application Information
 Send Us Your Comments

Planning Program
 Dam and Reservoir Planning
 Groundwater Grant Projects
 Instream Flow Filings
 Current Planning Projects
 River Basin Planning
 Weather Modification Study
 Probable Maximum Precipitation
 Water Research Projects

Construction Program
 Current Construction Projects
 Small Water Projects

Agency Publications
 Project Reports
 Water/Climate Web Atlas
 Irrigation & Water System Surveys
 Legislative Reports
 Water Mgmnt & Conservation Dir
 History of Wyoming Water Law

WWDC Home Page

Water Plan Home Page

WRDS Home Page

Active Projects

 92. PROJECT:Rawlins Water Supply
SPONSOR:City of Rawlins
LOCATION:Carbon County
Purpose Chapter Session Account Appropriation Due Date
Level I 10 1994 I $250,000   1996
Level II 46 1997 I $120,000   1998
Level III 38 1998 II $3,810,000* 2002
*60% grant

In 1996, the city of Rawlins requested a Level II study to evaluate possible improvements to their Sage Creek spring collector system, the Fort Steele pipeline, and the water treatment plant. The Ft. Steele line is in poor condition, badly corroded, and is nearly unusable. The city has experienced taste and odor problems during summer months and has asked the Farm Loan Board to fund additional development of the springs on Sage Creek. It appears the algae growth in the reservoir in conjunction with the existing treatment process has resulted in unacceptable water quality. Level II funding was provided by the Wyoming legislature and the WWDC contracted with Western Water Consultants to complete a Level II study. The study was completed in the spring of 1998.

A preliminary report prepared by the consultant recommended expansion of the spring collection field, replacement of a wood stave transmission line in the spring field, replacement and relocation of the Platte River diversion, replacement and relocation of the Platte River water supply raw water transmission main, and major water treatment plant improvements. The preliminary Level II study concludes that these improvements will provide Rawlins with a reliable water supply for the next 25 years.

Expansion of the spring collector field alone is insufficient to provide adequate water to Rawlins for the 25 year planning horizon. In order to meet peak day demands, replacement of the pipeline that conveys water from the North Platte River to the city is needed. The proposed new pipeline would follow a more efficient route which will involve a change in the point of diversion. The new alignment will facilitate possible delivery of raw water to outlying subdivisions, potential raw water irrigation of some parks, and delivery of water to the town of Sinclair in emergencies.

Expansion and improvement of the spring field is contemplated at a later date. In addition, there are proposed water treatment plant upgrades that total $3,500,000. The city of Rawlins will fund these improvements with capital facilities tax money and grants/loans from funding agencies other than the WWDC.

In 1998 the city of Rawlins received a 60% grant for replacement of the Ft Steele pipeline ($6,352,000 total cost). The remaining 40% of the project cost was financed through a capital facilities sales tax that passed on November 4, 1997.

Currently, construction of the improvements to the water treatment plant is nearing completion. An engineering contract was awarded in April, 1999 to Western Water Consultants Engineering Laramie with the anticipated completion of the diversion and transmission plans and specifications by March 2001. Routing of the transmission line will provide raw to the water treatment plant as well as for irrigation of the new city golf course which is to be located on the east side of the city.

No legislative action is required for this project.

   Citizen    Government    Business    Visitor   Privacy Policy