The 1994 project activities included pump testing and logging of
existing wells, analysis of the operation and maintenance procedures for
both the in-town wells and the Madison well field, and a review of
overall system configuration. The Gillette Area Master Plan identified
the importance of improved management of the multi-source Gillette water
supply system in order to reduce operation and maintenance costs,
maximize production from existing sources, protect the long term yield
of the Fort Union formation, and insure uniformity of water quality
available to Gillette water users through blending of supply sources.
The 1994 study established a schedule for rehabilitating Gillette's
existing Fort Union well field, (included as a Level III recommendation
in the 1995 Rehabilitation Program) for developing maximum production
from the Madison well field, and eventually for a new Fort Union well
This project addresses the expansion of the Madison well field. In
1995, two (2) new Madison were designed and are presently under
construction. One Madison well will be fractured and a pipeline
corrosion analysis will be completed in 1996. Also, in 1996, the two
(2) new Madison wells will be converted to production status and
connected to the existing pipeline.
RECOMMENDED LEGISLATIVE ACTION:
The WWDC recommends that the project appropriation be increased from
$1,139,000 to $1,658,250 or $519,250. This appropriation will serve as
a 67% grant. The remaining 33% of the project budget will be the
responsibility of the City of Gillette.