The Town of Basin and the Town of Manderson are committed project
because they are experiencing problems with their current water supply system, and
because they anticipate their current system will require a considerable
capital investment in the near future.
The rural area around Manderson and Basin has formed a district, the
South Bighorn County Water District, to provide service to approximately
A groundwater exploration program was conducted by WWDC in 1985 that
indicated a good potential exists for obtaining groundwater from the
Paleozoic formations approximately 8 miles east of Manderson. In 1993,
an exploratory well was constructed that produced water of excellent
quality, but lacked sufficient yield to supply the projected 750 taps in
the regional water system. In 1994 the well was hydraulically fractured
in an attempt to stimulate water production. The well now flows
approximately 350 gpm of good quality water. A second well has been
drilled into the Madison formation that produces approximately 250 gpm.
The water supply from the two wells will meet demand for many years.
In 1994, the project continued through conceptual designs and cost
estimates. The sponsor has 820 taps committed to the project. A joint
powers board, South Big Horn County Water Supply Joint Powers Board, has
been formed to serve as the sponsor for the project. The engineer will
conduct three separate bid lettings for the project. The first contract
has been let and the second production well has been drilled. The second
construction contract provides the major transmission pipeline between
the wells and the Towns of Basin and Manderson. The second phase is nearly
complete and the first group of customers has begun receiving water. The Design
for the third phase construction is complete and will be constructed in
1999. Currently the WWDC, the USDA Rural Utility Services, the State Loan
and Investment Board, and the sponsor are funding the project. The WWDC has
been funding 67 percent of the project with the other entities funding 33
percent. The Rural Utility Services will provide the remaining funding and
the Phase III components will be adjusted to match the total funding
package if necessary.
RECOMMENDED LEGISLATIVE ACTION:
No legislative action is required.